Programming the human brain and programming machines, or if less epic, psychology and mathematics. These two areas of modern marketer, it is important to constantly explore, to be on the crest of a wave. The evolution of technology and the evolution of values - these are the two main areas in which people develop, social groups and humanity. And you, dear friend, it is important to understand both ways. I will not cover here the task of the marketer in the context of attracting traffic and other targeted actions. My goal is to show a system that, as for me, every internet marketer should understand.
Speaking about the tasks of the Internet marketer in the company, I always mean the implementation of a project. It doesn’t matter whether it is a hired job, freelance or your business – the marketer is always working on a project with a measurable result. Even if the specialist performs the point function of setting up contextual, targeted advertising, creating a banner, running social networks, working on site usability or any other similar task. For better own efficiency, it is important for him to understand which link his work takes in the whole process of marketing a company.
To begin with about the definition of marketing. There are many terms with its description and they are very detailed. I define it simply.
Marketing is the art of managing social groups.
Why not science? Because we are always dealing not only with logical mathematics, but also with human values that lie outside of things, and manifest themselves only when it is necessary to make a choice. And although regardless of nationality, territory of residence, gender, skin color, people everywhere have the same set of desires, the question of implementing their own exclusiveness is different everywhere. And it still allows a share of abstractness in our work, since the results of good marketing strategies can only be seen after years.
Modern technology is one of the tools that helps the marketer to manage social groups more effectively.
But science cannot be stopped, and the more a person contacts with technical devices, the more he leaves his footprints, the easier it is to calculate, to understand his needs and values. That is why, I believe that the issue of unpredictable behavior of social groups will increasingly be transformed from abstract conclusions into working models of influence that can be easily calculated.
As a result, a modern internet marketer should understand:
- How does the human brain.
- How do the algorithms underlying modern technology work?
If you think that the second element is not necessary to study deeply, then be ready to lose to those who know these rules. The principles of in-depth machine learning, which are embedded in the work of search engines, social networks, advertising tools, are sharpened by the implementation of so precise, ideal results that no one can realize with the power of his brain. But a person can better learn and understand the values of another person. That is why:
- knowing how the human brain works will help you decide what your client should think (how to perceive the brand).
- Knowing how technology works will help you decide how to effectively communicate your message to a client.
Doubting the need to understand branding for an internet marketer is a big mistake that many of my colleagues do not initially realize. Positions in search engines, perfect optimization of contextual advertising, price aggregators and message boards are all auctions, the victory in which is often of a shaky character. The brand does not tolerate auctions and comparisons. Have you ever seen a fair of religions, or an exhibition of political parties?
Now let’s go separately about values. In this area, the marketer has an absolutely clear task – to convert 100% of the target audience (the market), who has knowledge of the company into 100% loyal users. This is the perfect result , which you should strive for. The formula is quite simple and its understanding gives a huge increase in the clarity of its goals. I will clarify.
Knowledge of the company – getting into the sphere of attention of the target audience. Under the scheme AIDA (attention, interest, desire, action) – this is the first and second element. In such cases, they talk about brand advertising, increasing company awareness. But this is only the beginning of any management of a social group. The first stage of our funnel.
Loyalty to the company (positive knowledge) – the consumer makes a choice in favor of the company, if you laid the right message, value. Under the AIDA scheme , this is the third element — desire. The origin of loyalty occurs during the first choice and the first experience of using a product or service. But you can only talk about a complete conversion into a loyal customer after making a second contact. Based on the loyalty-disloyalty of the client, use-non-use of the product, we can distinguish 4 groups of consumers.
- Loyal user – consumption of both utilitarian and iconic elements of the product, service; re-consumption (in this category it’s about LTV ).
- Disloyal user – consumption of products, services of companies without values, monopolists; also user status upon first purchase.
- A loyal non-user is a person at the level of desire according to the AIDA model (a matter of time when the consumer starts using).
- Disloyal non-user – the person does not know about your company and does not use its services or products.
The marketing department should work with:
- disloyal non – users – so that they know about the company at least.
- disloyal users – to disloyal NOT; it is not even necessary for everyone to use, but it is important that everyone remain loyal; if in simple terms – to maximize the LTV of all consumers who have tried the service, the product for the first time.
Read more about technology.
Effective work with the systems of product promotion, the company on the Internet is built on such whales:
- Understanding the answers to strategic marketing questions and the basics of positioning .
- Full analysis of the client’s path – from visits to the site (application) to orders.
- Understanding the exact portrait of the client and his needs, values (the more precise exceptional characteristics, the better).
- Clarity and completeness of the display of UTP, positioning, brand on the site, on social networks, in e-mail newsletters, advertising campaigns.
- Mathematical perfection in attracting traffic.
- The initial focus on the collection of loyal users.
- Pulse on the “hand of the market.” Trends, demand, advertising campaigns.
The purpose of advertising, as well as any tool under human leadership – sensible non-action. It should either disappear by performing its function once, or increase the scale of the brand with regular work.
Another important note. Marketing is ALWAYS strategic. This means that you need to be able to lose the battle in order to win the war. Those companies that understand this can work to zero for years only with the aim of increasing the loyalty of the target audience. Those who want sales only now and are not ready to stand to the death for their product will give way to more ruthless to themselves and calculating entrepreneurs.
In conclusion, I say – you program a machine or a human brain, it is not so important, but it should be beautiful. And for beauty the only significant morality is accuracy, symmetry and efficiency, the only immorality is sloppy thinking and lack of results.